
So I felt as though if anyone was more equipped to deliver the scary, spooky, disturbing, or generally unsettling halloween mix, it was me. Therefore even though this mix is a bit long, and I had enough material to make 3 more of these, I think I delivered a pretty creeptastic mix to listen to in the dark and encourage nightmares.
The monster mashy moments aren't plentiful here, but here is some scattered commentary that I think will add some extra dimensions to your listening experience:
I suggest reading up about the The Conet Project and number stations in general, adds a whole spooky level to the recordings.
In addition anything by Scott Walker owns, and the fact that he faded into obscurity after his pop period and resurfaced to record some of the most unsettling music ever recorded is just more proof of how talented he is.
If you recognize The Fall song, it was playing in Buffalo Bill's house during Silence of the Lambs when Clarice is sneaking about his house in the dark.
Also keep this in mind: "The story of The Curse of Midnight Mary, the album, thus goes like this: musician Loren Connors visited the grave of Midnight Mary after midnight on a night in March of 1981. With a tape recorder nearby to document the event, an acoustic guitar in his hand, Connors knelt by her tombstone and played his own strange blues, quietly howling along."
The Psychic TV track is the sound you hear when you make wind instruments out of actual human thighbones.
Finally the Robert Ashley track is potentially one of the most uncomfortable things ever recorded.
Artist - Track - Album
- David Newman & Van Dyke Parks - B-Movie Show - The Brave Little Toaster Soundtrack
- Zola Jesus - Soeur Sewer - Soeur Sewer 7"
- The Conet Project - The Swedish Rhapsody - The Conet Project
- The Residents - Fine Fat Flies - God In Three Persons
- Islaja - Rohkaisulaulu - Palaa Aurinkoon
- Scott Walker - Jesse - The Drift
- White Noise - Here Come The Fleas - An Electric Storm
- Catherine Ribeiro + Alpes - Silen Von Kathy - NÂș2
- Oneohtrix Point Never - Eyeballs - Betrayed in the Octagon
- The Dead C - Hell Is Now Love - Trapdoor Fucking Exit
- 23 Skidoo - The Gospel Comes to New Guinea - Seven Songs
- The Locust - Scavenger, Invader - New Erections
- Aranos - No, Ha! Spring Was Her Need - Magnificent! Magnificent! No One Knows The Final Word
- Night Recordigns From Bali - Cremation Ceremony - Night Recordings From Bali
- Jandek - Frosted Field - This Narrow Road
- The Fall - Hip Priest - In A Hole
- U.S. Girls - R.I.P. KISN - Introducing...
- Loren Connors - Chant 6 - The Curse of Midnight Mary
- Greenpot Bluepot - Warraw 4 - Warraw
- Psychic TV - Part 2, 23 Tibetan Human Thighbones - Themes
- Robert Ashley - Purposeful Lady Slow Afternoon - Automatic Writing
3 comments:
I'm going to have to listen to this when it's really bright out...
The Conet Project is one of my favorite collections of sounds ever. Big props for using it in this context.
I am excited by this mix, and am excited to get home where I can actually use an RAR file.
Post a Comment